Fun facts about tattoos! | Tattoo Studio Wholesale Supplier
It's always really interesting to learn fun and pointless facts about things, from movie trivia, to weird and wonderful medical facts, strange statistics about animals, and totally pointless findings about food. As a Tattoo Studio Wholesale Supplier, we're always open to learning new things about tattoos, so I decided to have a little look at some of the strange and interesting trivia surrounding the industry (even if some of it is just pointless statistics and trivia!).
So, let’s take a look at some of the strange facts about tattoos!
- Samuel O’Reilly invented tattoo machines sometime in the late 19th century, basing his design on the autographic printer (which was an engraving machine that was invented by Thomas Edison). Interestingly, tattoo machines haven’t changed too much since then!
- Americans spend an astounding $1.65 billion on tattoos every year. (WOW).
- This one isn’t exactly new to us, but I thought it was interesting. Although tattooing is prohibited in prisons, prisoners still manage to make tattoo machines, and commonly use parts out of electric shavers, needles, guitar strings and ink reservoirs from the barrels of ballpoint pens. I never knew exactly how people were able to make tattoo machines from the limited items available, and I think that's pretty resourceful!
- According to a survey (in the USA), more women than men have tattoos! The survey showed that 59% of women have tattoos, compared to just 41% of men. (Maybe women just deal with pain better!)
- To counter that last fact, women are a lot more likely than men to have laser removal on their tattoos. I'm not sure why this is. Perhaps females are more inclined to change their minds, or maybe it's just that they are more likely to actively do something about their unwanted tattoo. Either way, I found this quite interesting.
- Speaking of laser removal, when it comes to removing tattoos, black is the easiest colour to get rid of, absorbing a greater number of laser waves, whereas green and yellow are the toughest colours to remove.
- Your skin is pierced 50 to 3000 times per minute by the tattoo machine when you get a tattoo. Ouch!
- The Latin word for tattoo is ‘stigma’. Not the best of words to attach to the concept of tattooing, but it certainly rings true for a lot of cultures. Attitudes towards tattoos are constantly evolving though, so I think the stigma will decrease in different walks of life.
- There are over 20,000 tattoo studios in the United States alone, with a new establishment being added to the country each day.
- Urine was sometimes used to mix tattoo colour. I’m not too sure when this was commonplace, but that’s weird!
So, there you have it, 10 facts about tattooing that you may or may not have already known about! If you know an interesting fact about tattooing that we can add to the list, please let us know in the comments! Don’t forget, we’re a Tattoo Studio Wholesale Supplier and have a huge range of tattoo supplies to cover all your tattoo needs.
Blog & Image credits:
- Antonia McLoughlin