Fun facts about piercings | X-pressions Piercing Aftercare Spray
At Magnum Tattoo Supplies where we stock a great range of piercing products including X-pressions Piercing Aftercare spray, we love gaining insight into the history and culture around body piercings, so we’re sure you’ll be just as amazed as we were at these fun facts about piercings! Check it out..
1. Ear piercings date back to 2,500 BC.
2. A UK survey showed that 10% of women over the age of 16 have another piercing other than their earlobes.
3. According to some sources, nipple piercings were a short lived fad in the Victorian era. Apparently there was a strange belief that nipple piercings made your derriere look bigger! (That’s definitely not true!).
4. Body suspension is something that’s often seen at tattoo convention where people push their bodies to the limits and put on a show. Suspension actually dates back as far as 5,000 years to ago, and was part of a Hindu ritual.
5. Amongst the ancient Mayas of Central America there were several ritualistic practices involving body piercings. The ceremonies required the participants to draw blood in order to make peace with the Gods. These bloodletting rituals involved piercing numerous parts of the body with a variety of instruments, such as stingray spines, bits of bone, bark, and flint blades, then pieces of straw would be passed through the wounds.
6. Pirates are known for their love of buried treasure and gold, and were often seen sporting gold earrings. This is because, if he were to die on foreign soil, it would cover the cost of funeral expenses.
7. Some people believe that if done at an early enough age, earlobe piercings can significantly reduce the risk of eye, throat, and tongue related impediments. This belief is based on the effects of acupuncture.
8. Scottish women have the highest record for the number of piercings.
We hope you’ve enjoyed these little pockets of trivia as much as we have! If you guys know any more little facts about piercings or body modifications then we'd love to hear from you so we can add it to the list, so if so, why not leave us a comment below? Don’t forget, if you’re going to be having a piercing then make sure you get hold of X-pressions Piercing Aftercare spray which will help heal your piercing perfectly.
Blog & image credits:
- Antonia McLoughlin