The best tattoo kits for beginners
Starting to learn how to tattoo is exciting. But if you're new to it, finding the right tools can be really confusing. There are so many tattoo kits out there, all with different equipment inside and at different price points. How do you know which one to pick?
Picking the wrong kit could be a waste of money or even make learning to tattoo harder. That's why we've compiled our list of the best tattoo kits for beginners! This way, we can help you find the right one for your needs, so you can start tattooing without any worry.
What to look for in a tattoo kit for beginners?
When you're just starting to learn how to tattoo, safety should be your top priority. Beginner tattoo kits should include safety features like sterilised needles, gloves, and clear instructions on how to keep everything clean. If the kit does not follow basic safety standards, it could lead to infections or other health problems.
Ease of use
As a beginner, you don’t want a tattoo kit that's overly complicated. Look for tools and machines that are designed with simplicity in mind. The instructions should be clear, and the setup should be straightforward. If a tattoo kit is too advanced, it may slow down your learning process and cause unnecessary frustration.
Quality of materials
While you might not need top-of-the-line materials when you're just starting, you still want quality products that won't break easily. Cheap, poorly made materials can lead to a poor tattooing experience and even affect the outcome of your work. Look for a kit with decent-quality tattoo ink, needles, and machines. Reviews from other users can help guide you on this aspect.
Price is an essential factor, especially for beginners who might be on a budget. While it's tempting to go for the cheapest option, that could mean sacrificing quality or safety. On the other hand, the most expensive kit might include tools and features you don't need yet. Getting a balance between price and quality is key. Look for the best tattoo kit that offers good value for the money, providing what you need without unnecessary extras.
Lastly, consider what accessories are included in the tattoo starter kit. Things like extra tattoo needles, inks in various colours, practice skins, and cleaning supplies can make your learning experience more enjoyable. Some kits might even come with educational materials or guides that can be very helpful for a beginner.
1. Tattoo stencil kits
Tattoo Stencil Kit
The Tattoo Stencil Kit is well-considered for beginners, offering various advantages. This affordable tattoo kit uses genuine Spirit brand hectograph carbon paper, ensuring an authentic transfer and reflecting a commitment to quality over inferior imitations. The kit's versatility is notable, suitable for freehand design and tracing, offering flexibility for various artistic methods.
Moreover, with all the necessary components included, it's an accessible and excellent starting point for newcomers. The carbon paper is user-friendly, and the freehand design pen glides smoothly on the skin. However, a potential downside is the limited quantity of materials; with only five sheets each of carbon and tracing paper, the kit might not be sufficient for those practising their stencils extensively.
Contents of the kit:
- 5 x A4 SPIRIT Brand Manual Impact Hectograph Carbon Paper: A reliable option for stencil design. The use of genuine SPIRIT brand from the USA sets this kit apart from cheaper imitations.
- 5 x A4 Tattoo Tracing Paper (63gsm): With a weight of 63gsm, this tracing paper is in the perfect range for tattooing, neither too thick nor too thin.
- 1 x Professional Body Editing Pen For Freehand Design: This water-based fine-tipped marker is designed specifically for tattoo artists to add additional features to a design.
Tattoo Stencil Kit PLUS
The Tattoo Stencil Plus Kit showcases several attractive features that add to its appeal, especially for beginners. Compared to the standard stencil kit, the Plus kit offers twice the amount of carbon and tracing paper as well as extra pens, extending both value and longevity.
A standout feature is the inclusion of practice skin, allowing novices to safely try out new techniques. The size and feel of the practice skin are very similar to human skin, contributing to a realistic experience. The commitment to using genuine Spirit brand products emphasises quality and authenticity.
Contents of the kit:
- 10 x A4 SPIRIT Brand Manual Impact Hectograph Carbon Paper: A trustworthy choice for those serious about quality, coming from the well-respected SPIRIT brand.
- 10 x A4 Tattoo Tracing Paper (63gsm): The perfect weight for tattooing, providing a balance between durability and ease of use.
- 2 x Professional Body Editing Pen For Freehand Design: Fine-tipped and water-based, these markers are ideal for sketching directly on the skin.
- 4 x Practice Skin (20cm x 15cm): A fantastic addition to help newcomers practice without fear.
2. Tattoo machine kits
AVA EP7+ Wireless Touchscreen Tattoo Rotary Pen Kit
The AVA EP7+ Wireless Touchscreen Tattoo Rotary Pen Kit is a standout offering for tattoo artists, blending innovation with functionality. Made with aircraft-grade aluminum and a Japanese precious metal brush DC motor, it's both light and durable. The technical features, including adjustable stroke, speed, and needle depth, combined with a battery capacity of 2200 mAh offering 5-8 hours of working time, make it adaptable to various artistic needs.
The upgraded touchscreen and extras like an additional battery and RCA converter add convenience. While the advanced features might present a learning curve for beginners, the quality and flexibility of the kit make it an excellent investment for both newcomers and seasoned professionals.
Contents of the kit:
- 1 Machine with Touchscreen Controls: Designed with aircraft-grade aluminum and a Japanese precious metal brush DC motor, ensuring durability and lightweight handling.
- Accessories: 1 grip, 1 pen holder, 1 extra battery, 1 RCA adaptor, Silicone Pad, and Type C charging cable.
3. Full tattoo kits
MTS Pro Tattoo Kits
Our MTS Pro Tattoo Kits offer an all-in-one solution for those looking to produce high-quality tattoos without breaking the bank. Designed with the budding professional tattoo artist in mind, it includes essential tools such as a power supply, tattoo machine, and much more, tailored to facilitate various tattooing techniques and styles.
The emphasis on quality, coupled with a reasonable price point, positions this kit as an attractive investment for those seeking to elevate their skills and deliver professional-grade work.
If you want to explore more details about our coil and rotary tattoo kits, including insights into individual components and performance, you can read the full review here: Which professional tattoo kit is right for me?
4. PMU machine kits
AVA - Soulnova Permanent Makeup Kit
Weighing in at a mere 82g, the AVA Soulnova's lightweight design ensures comfort during long sessions, while the Aircraft Aluminium build promises durability. What truly sets this PMU machine apart is its versatility; suitable for both permanent makeup and traditional tattooing, powered by a smooth Japanese Mabuchi Motor, it provides control without sacrificing power.
While the pink colour may not suit everyone's taste and there might be a slight learning curve for complete beginners, these are minor drawbacks. Considering its quality and affordable price, the Soulnova Permanent Makeup Kit is an appealing option for both professionals and enthusiasts alike.
Contents of the kit:
- Pink AVA Soulnova Pen: The pink hue is stylish and adds a fun flair to any cosmetic tattoo studio. But it's not just about the looks; the performance of this pen is truly top-notch. The ergonomically designed shape and lightweight construction make it comfortable for long sessions.
- Neo Power Supply: Including a Neo Power supply ensures that the machine operates consistently and smoothly.
- RCA Cable: The RCA cable provides a secure connection between the power supply and your machine. The cable is of sufficient length so that you never feel restricted in movement.
- Pink Case: The pink case is not just a pleasing aesthetic choice but also a practical one. It's perfect for storing the pen and accessories and is robust enough to withstand travel. The matching colour with the pen adds a coherent visual touch.
Investing in quality without overstretching your budget, prioritising safety features, and considering included accessories will pave the way for a fulfilling and successful tattooing experience. Whether you're an aspiring tattoo artist or an enthusiast looking to explore this artistic domain, selecting the right complete tattoo kit is the first step towards mastering the craft. Trust in reputable brands, consult professional advice if needed, and let your creativity flourish with the right tools in hand.
- Mark Joshua Luz